Thursday, December 21, 2017

Part IV: Inventory.

Pattern Coding System Web Series:

Part I: The Coding.
Part II: The Photograph.
Part III: The Instructions.

The next part, which is the prelude to the finale of this five part pattern building system is the inventory tracking system.  It does not have to be fancy.  You make as simple this:


...to as extravagant as a database, with references, cross references, and indices utilizing MS Access/Support.

My choice now is the former, but of course if/when things outgrow my simple system, then it is off to something more sophisticated.

As it stands, I retain and update this listing as new patterns enter the 'inventory'.  I keep/maintain the current copy in a binder next to the drawer/box that stores the patterns.  When I add patterns, I do so manually by scratching notes at the bottom of this 'hard copy'.  Each month-end, I transfer these notes into the Word.doc inventory, whereby it receives the official update.

The inventory is superb.  It allows me to scan the listing to search out exactly what I want or need, without having to go through the patterns one-by-one. The effort is to the handle the patterns as infrequently as possible in order to maintain the life of the envelope.

Stay tuned to the next and final chapter of this series: Part V: Storage.

Quiz: How did I arrive at numbering Pattern # 10207/Crop Top, Walking Shorts?


No comments:

Post a Comment