Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Pattern Coding System...Must Have!

Many want to know the system I use to organize the many patterns I create.  In the last 1.5 years, over two dozen pattern constructions came to life.  If there is one or two or five, you can toss them in a drawer and maybe never use them again.

But for me this is not a one and done.  Many of the patterns created are the roots to designing a new pattern.  I need a system to not only organize the pattern pieces but have that system available for speedy recall without having to go through large volumes to find what I need.

After coding the pattern, I create an envelope, assign a photo from the garment, name it, then print.  All pieces fit into the envelope and the envelope goes into a file.  On a separate database, the patterns list in order, with an abbreviation of the garment.  I scan the abbreviations to find what I need then move over to the number.  It is much easier to find the pattern by name first.

Now let's take a look backwards at the coding system.

Like the store, there is a "dewey" system to code each pattern.  I do not randomly select numbers and assign it to a project.  The High-Low Blouse with Skinny Denim White Slacks #20522, derived from my denim pattern.  However, the blouse is new, which makes the pattern new!

The pattern number is minimally five digits.  It starts with the day of the week. A pattern made on Sunday starts with "1",  while one made on Wednesday starts with "4", etc.

The second number is the month.  Single digit numbers receive a "0" in the tens place.  For example May is the 5th month of the year, thus using "05".

Finally the third number of the pattern coding system is the calendar day of the month.

After planning the project and drafting the pattern, I look to the day/date which gives me the pattern number.  This pattern construction started and finished on Monday, May 24, 2017.  And that is how I coded the High-Low Blouse with Skinny Denim White Slacks Pattern #20522.





No comments:

Post a Comment