Saturday, October 28, 2017

Hair Diary: Chavonne's Curls...update

A few years ago I received a message requesting if I could share my knowledge on how to restore the lost curls from Journey Girl Chavonne's hair.  I was lost for words.  My knowledge of curly hair is that you don't comb these doll's hair else lose their curl pattern.  The last wash 'n go was done back in April


One of five active Chavonne model's, that I affectionately call Cinnamon (Cinna for short) has a very interesting root of hair that I have struggled to soften. I treat it as her own unique personality and keep it in a high tight bun. Her hair is not displayed big and loose, else I would have to wash it weekly. She typically models athletic wear and often maintains a natural high head puff of curls.

While prepping her for her photo shoot, I decided to give her wash 'n go to freshen up her . I want her to look her to come with her best camera ready look.  As usual, hot water wetting to moisten, then shampoo, and the final conditioning treatment before styling. 



This time around, I added to the conditioner treatment, a little drop of avocado oil mixed with a drop of lavender oil. I did not get excited for the results because I know Cinna's hair.  It is dry and that is what I come to expect of it.



Before rinsing out the conditioner treatment, I borrowed Noelle's brush and did what would ordinarily be the unthinkable on a curly...I brushed through some of the curls. Nothing really could hurt her hair and if it failed, I was prepared to give her straw set.



The curls sprung right back into form.  Wow!!!


I then rinsed the conditioner treatment, t-shirt dried Cinna's hair, brushed the perimeter and pulled it into her signature high puff.  While it was still wet, I borrowed Noelle's brush again and began to give the curls a little untangle action!

They sprung right back to form!  Okay wait a minute.  I was told that if you brush the hair, comb it, the curls would flatten.  Not so!

Two conclusions...first, repeat for future washes the lavender-avocado oil treatment.  And second, there is no truth to the notion that combs are deadly to curly's.  In my expert opinion, curls go flat due to flat irons or some heat appliance to give her a straight look.

Cinna's hair is not completely dry, but I expect its texture to be softer after this treatment.

Tell me again TRU, why did you discontinue the curly Chavonne?  Heat appliances are not the prescription to styling doll hair at all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment