Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Simplest Ideas...Best Kept Secrets

Years ago, my very first overlock machine, a Singer mini overlock operated with the use of regular spools of thread.  I was an early investor in cone thread because it was inexpensive and of course I did not have to replace it as often.  In order to use cone thread with this machine, I purchased four cone thread holders. They were plastic and relatively inexpensive.

Somehow through movement and storage, I wound up with just one. This came after the purchase of my White Overlock/Serger.

Today, as you know I run a small assembly line of five machines (2 overlock/sergers, 2 sewing machines, and 1 embroidery machine).  The stands for the serger/overlock machines are on deck.  But the two sewing machines must split the service of one stand.

In the spirit of efficiency, this became a daunting task...somewhat.

I took to the net to search for at least one overlock/serger stand to accommodate the other.  But while this search turned over nothing but high priced fancy models, I needed a stand in right away.

I had a mug nearby holding scissors and outline penicils.  I grabbed it, removed the pencils, and placed the cone inside. And you know what?  It worked beautifully...


Since then, I did locate the stands which were very inexpensive and hold more than thread.  They also serve to hold safety pins, bobbins, etc.  really neat!

Strangely, the inexpensive cone thread holders by Dritz have miraculously turned up on Amazon.

The point of it all.  A kitchen mug works just fine in a pinch!  Try it and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment