Thursday, April 27, 2017

Questions & Answers

How long have you been sewing?

BOC: I started sewing around the age of eight.  That is almost 40 years. The initial inspiration was to make doll clothes, for my “Darci Cover Girl” doll, from a Christmas wish granted.  The following Christmas I asked for a sewing machine. I received a Holly Hobbie, my first machine.  I continued to sew mostly by hand, taught to me by my mother.  She taught me the chain and the blind hem. My first sewing projects were repairing socks.

What inspires you to sew today?

BOC: The dolls continue to inspire me.  I mostly sew now for the larger dolls, 18” Journey Girls by Toys R Us.  I designed for Barbie for many years.

Where do get your ideas for clothing designs?

BOC: I draw inspiration from fashion concepts re-imagined.  Nothing is ever really out of style.  My first generation patterns took a lot of processing time. From there, ideas flourish and build from that foundation.

Did you take any formal training?

BOC: No.  I am self-taught.  I barely liked to read instruction manuals. For years, I audited store bought patterns simply because some of them had poor instructions. I discovered new ways to achieve the same thing or some variation.

How do you construct new ideas? What materials do you use in your pattern making?

BOC: I start with a picture of an original idea from an adult or child photo.  I start sketching the details with color pencils, giving it an initial code.  I then plan the fabric.  I either pencil the pattern to paper or drape from scraps.  My first draping material was felt scraps.  I still use whatever is handy.  I try not to throw a new construction onto the fabric used for the final garment.  Sometimes I do and the idea comes together nicely.  Other times the drafts help me to work out the struggles.

Any new projects or plans for the near future?

BOC: New projects come up all of the time.  The major projects are the new launch of the EBAY store.  I plan to create a commemorative design inspired by the late artist Prince.  In the fall, I will join SandyLand’s Detroit Doll Show as a vendor.

However, new inspirations, ideas, and events spring up all of the time.  I try to share this with the world.  It is my legacy.  I am grateful for social media, because it allows me to take the platform and reach people all over the world who I otherwise would never see locally.

Thanks for the questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment