Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Spare Machine, Spare Parts, Replacement Nightmares!

It is always good to have a backup!

As you know recently I purchased a second overlock/serger.  Thank goodness, I retained the Brother XL3200 after buying the Viking Husqvarna Emerald 183, despite a few folks begging for it.  Over the weekend while trying to install the gathering foot, which failed to stay on and nearly broke the needle, the shank (which is plastic…grrr!) broke.

My Viking is the main horse in the stable so my immediate reaction sent me into a panic.  I went online to sewingpartsonline.com, found the replacement at a modest cost, and ordered two.  I expected to have the shank (along with a spare for a rainy day) by the end of the week and put the Emerald 183 back in the field…right.

Wrong!

I did continue sewing right through this distraction thanks to the Brother XL3200 my trusted and good friend who I shall never abandon or toss away.

However, the worst of it is that I received an email on Tuesday (after making the purchase online through PayPal on Sunday) saying one or more of the parts are on back-order.

What a mess!

I expected to give this site a lot of business but I am giving it the side-eye as I type this message.  You cannot be serious.

Okay…I call to follow up on the email, believing at least one is in while I wait for the other (no additional shipping charges), to find that the order is completely vacated.

Give me a refund! Four weeks until the parts arrive from the manufacturer is unacceptable.

A place that does this volume of business needs a better quality control system in place.  The existing one is a fail.

I call JoAnn’s up the road and the agent answering in the Viking Sewing Gallery thinks the machine needs service repair.  Craziness.  This part screws on. You are not about to cajole me into bringing my machine in.  I will call back later and speak to a competent agent.  This one clearly does not have a clue.  I call back later and they still want me to bring that heavy machine in to see it if it fits.

See if it fits? You are a dealer.  I have an Emerald 183.  You should tell me if the part fits over the phone.  The online dealers tell you which parts fit your machine.  EBay merchants take the time to run you a list of compatible and interchangeable parts/models.

You sell fancy Viking’s and you cannot tell me without me packing it up and running it down the road?

You are busted!

Is it that hard to get good help?

Meanwhile, the Brother XL3200 (17 years running) is showing its butt off and my eyes are dancing around looking at videos of the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 and strongly considering selling the Viking 183.  Who makes plastic shanks/ankles anyhow on such a high end trough of machines anyhow?  Every machine I ever owned sported metal shanks and no problems fitting any of its presser feet!

I knew this pretty horse had tender bones…I just knew it!

Emerald 183, you are not all of that.  You are on waivers for dismissal.

Woosah...

Special thanks to the colorfulworldofsewing.com, the Viking Emerald 183 lives to run another race.

Unless for some god-forsaken reason the parts are on back-order, the Emerald 183 should have a new shoe by the end of the week!

Woosah...

And the foolery is not over yet, the Husqvarna online says that the new and improved shank ankle fits all models 5, 6, and 7.  However it throws out a disclaimer "not for Emerald series", yet the Emerald falls under Series 6.

Well, we shall see.  Nothing is ever wasted around here.  If I cannot use it, someone will be able to.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained.  At some point you have to do things yourself, since clearly the confusion runs deep where Viking Husqvarna nests.

No comments:

Post a Comment