Monday, June 5, 2017

One of My Greatest Challenges

My greatest challenge to overcome were sleeves!

Yes. Indeed. Sleeves.

I remember when I first started drafting patterns for doll clothing, sleeves challenged me so much that I practically tried to avoid them.  Now, I am not saying that buttons/buttonholes and zipper applications came easy.  They challenged me as well.  However, I quickly mastered those events with the help of my early sewing days using commercial patterns.

But sleeves, there was only installation instruction, not instruction on designing an original.  Let me tell you that in the short while I claim victory, custom sleeves do not resemble those sleeves in commercial patterns.

A sleeve to set in a shirt or dress, but does not seem to match the dimensions of the arm that expects to wear it.  The first thing you say to yourself after articulating a sleeve pattern is "this cannot be right".  You will tell yourself this to the point that you will ease into the application with much trepidation.

Trust, minus adding the space for sewing the seams to join the sleeve to the garment, you will shout victory!  

Riley Blake Knit Polo Dress (Navy/Lavender)
Say so long to huge sleeves that look like they derived from commercial patterns, as you guessed/estimated them to fit your doll/model arm.  And say hello to fitted sleeves that earn your trust in construction, over and over again!

Riley Blake Knit Polo Dress (Navy/Lavender)

No comments:

Post a Comment