Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Congratulations!

In 2015, I shared a prospective observation with my family and friends on social media.  I even took along a camera phone, posting what I had observed to be a shortage on Journey Girl Doll/Chavonne (Toys 'R' Us).

 dmoore0170



Begging the world to please buy this doll because it appeared she would not be present for long, Chavonne at that time, sported beautiful bouncing curls.

By 2016 the transition was set.  No one who I personally knew headed this message.  Chavonne was reintroduced in the summer of '16 with long wavy hair, much looser curls.  I followed my own advice and by the time 'curly Chavonne' was discontinued, I had amassed 6, from not only Toys 'R' Us, but also from eBay merchants.
For whatever reason, few took the $40 tag as too much, but then later acquired the American Girl dolls at $115.  

Fall 2017, when the first sign of despair to what evolved into store closings, I knew something detrimental was in flight.  I decided to offer the Journey Girl Chavonne in a raffle.  One person purchased a ticket and for $5 received a bounty just in time for Christmas, delivering it as a gift.  I continued to acquire more dolls, mainly the Chavonne, and a few more people took interest, but nothing significant.  Sadly, this was the moment that many customers began to finally realize that Curly Chavonne was gone for good and thus began making ridiculously low offers on the doll or asking if the doll was included in the outfit package.


2016

2017

I still continued posting the urgency of acquiring Journey Girls.  

By late Winter 2018, the fear of bankruptcy loomed and Toys 'R' Us dropped a list of definite store closures.  Again, I continued to pounce on what seemed scarily like the end.  

I decided to make another attempt to get Chavonne (and the JG dolls) movement into homes of family and friends.  Several customers purchased the doll in conjunction with the "Graduation 2018" pack.

By early Spring 2018, the news of Toys 'R' Us shutting down its entire business delivered.  I visited stores, advising customers in passing, to focus on the "Geoffrey" brands, items exclusive to the merchant.  

 dmoore0170
Australia 2017-2018
As the final ads show a huge thrust towards what is the end for a toy empire we all knew as a kid, smart shoppers have eroded the shelves of the brand items.  I considered paying another visit to stores in Westland, Livonia, and Novi and thus acquired the remaining dolls for the final adventure - Australia.

I will leave you with this, for all of you who were inspired by my passion--family and friends, Congratulations!  If you received it as a gift, for a small fee, or at a placement cost, you have acquired for you or your family member a prized piece of history!

Were you one of the fortunate, who acquired a Journey Girl Doll?

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I did not take her of your advice.. But you still inspire me abundantly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks! I love being an inspiration! I remember how I felt when after my sewing slump, to return to dolling and find that I totally missed so many dolls that had come and gone in such a short time! That's why I blog!

      Delete
  2. I meant take heed to your advice lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought the last Chavonne at the Toys'R'Us near me. I always wanted the 2016 version but neglected to get to the store. Who knew one day she'd be gone forever? Just glad I finally own a Journey Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Chavonne is such a treasure! With the dissipating production, I am elated you found any Chavonne. The stores near me eroded very fast.

      Delete