Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Unboxing and Getting Started

My new serger/overlock arrived yesterday.  It comes with a demonstration dvd, some accessories: pair of needles, screw driver, tweezers, and a spreader.  I watched the dvd for a quick tutorial on threading, however there is a demo on YouTube.  Additionally,  it comes seated and ready with four cones of thread: yellow, orange, green, and blue.  Sewing perfectly of course until I changed out the threads to black.  It took some time to get the stitch as close to perfect as I could get it before I called it a night and started watching Outsiders (love that show).



The trickiest part was not changing the threads, but removing the arm plate, and doing so without breaking a nail.



Today I took to the net in search of the additional presser feet.  Sadly, Singer.com was not helpful.  I then called their toll free number and the lady was quite gracious.  In about a month I will have all of the presser feet needed to do those extra tasks, like putting on elastic, cording/yarning, shirring/ruffling, blind hems, beading, and lacing.

Officially, the SpeedyLock will rest with white thread and maybe light colors, while the new Singer Stylist will focus on dark colors, mostly black.  As much as it is tedious changing loopers, adjusting tensions, and deciding on lifting the knife or lowering it, I plan to do more than standard operations.  With two to volley, at least I can move between colors without changing out threads back and forth on one machine.

This technically makes my third serger.  I totally forgot about the mini serger I purchased, which was my very first.  That was a product of Singer also.  I used the cone stands because the thread seats used standard size thread spools.  I was not ready to leap into a larger ticket item like a serger, which at that time priced above any sewing machine I ever owned.  Now, that I have a Viking Husqvarna as my main manufacturing tool, serger prices do not look so expensive any more...unless its a Viking!

I am very happy with the investment so far.  Happy Serging!


No comments:

Post a Comment